The Hello Beautiful Foundation
The Hello Beautiful Foundation is a London-based charity that runs cancer campaigns, founded by Jane Hutchison. A breast cancer survivor herself, Jane wanted to create a support network for women with the disease and their families.
We sat down with Jane to discuss Hello Beautiful, Stella McCartney’s contributions to the foundation and the importance of staying informed when it comes to breast cancer.
1. BREAST CANCER AWARENESS IS A VERY IMPORTANT CAUSE FOR YOU, CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR HISTORY AND RELATIONSHIP TO BREAST CANCER?
My breast cancer was diagnosed in 2012 and at the time I had very little knowledge about the disease and its treatment. I learned so much about treatments, experiences, and life lessons from others that I realized that I could help others as well.
2. IN SUCH A DIFFICULT TIME IN YOUR LIFE, WHAT PROMPTED YOU TO CREATE THE HELLO BEAUTIFUL FOUNDATION?
I wanted to help prevent the disease by promoting a healthy lifestyle and providing access to all the information people need to make an informed choice about the sustainable treatments that work best for them. It takes a lot of moral support when you learn to live differently and change fundamental elements in your lifestyle to avoid relapse. It is necessary to take care of the body, the soul and the spirit at the same time.
3. WHAT IS HELLO BEAUTIFUL’S MISSION AND HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM OTHER PREVENTION CAMPAIGNS SUCH AS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS?
One of our main interests is collaboration and sharing of resources. We have a social responsibility to each other. We need to make sure the people around us stay healthy. We also believe that it is possible to avoid toxic products. By eliminating toxic substances from your daily life, putting aside negative thoughts and focusing on the positive, you can improve your chances of staying healthy.
4. HOW DO YOU AND YOUR TEAM MOVE YOUR IDEAS AROUND THE COMMUNITY?
We go to schools and hospitals to educate and inform people about non-toxic lifestyles. In particular, we talk with children about the importance of reducing their sugar intake. We also offer a referral system so patients never have to deal with cancer treatments alone. We help them find organic food, get a centrifuge and find documentation.
5. RECENTLY, YOU WORKED WITH STELLA MCCARTNEY ON AN OUTREACH PROJECT. WHat does this partnership mean to you?
From the beginning, we understood that we had a common vision and goals. For years, Stella McCartney has been committed to supporting people with breast cancer and raising awareness of healthy living. Being able to rely on a name recognized both in the world of fashion and in the supporters of sustainable development is particularly important to us and honours us. His creations are modern and beautiful. They fill a void by helping women with breast cancer feel feminine. Our leitmotifs in sustainable development are also in line: Stella's thinking about how we consume and protect the planet's natural resources fully reflects our vision of things, whether in the short or the long term.
6. STELLA MCCARTNEY HAS DESIGNED A POST-OPERATIVE COMPRESSION BRA, THE LOUISE LISTENING, IN SUPPORT OF THE HELLO BEAUTIFUL FOUNDATION, FOR WOMEN WHO HAVE HAD A DOUBLE MASTECTOMY. CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY THIS UNDERWEAR IS IMPORTANT?
When you have your breasts removed because of cancer, then it's very difficult to feel feminine again, and the women who end up in this situation have very little choice. This is a time when many women feel vulnerable and less beautiful, and this underwear can give them the security, comfort and confidence they need. The Louise Listening bra is very elegant and feminine. He has the power to change the image that a woman has of herself by providing both physical and moral support.
7. HOW WILL THE BENEFITS FROM THIS PARTNERSHIP BE USED TO HELP HELLO BEAUTIFUL IN ITS MISSION?
The proceeds will be used to fund an exciting new project: the first Hello Beautiful community space. We are creating an information centre where we will organize events and workshops to provide cancer patients with an environment in which they feel supported and safe. Our goal is to provide a platform for the exchange of ideas, products and techniques, where information and positive evolution are in constant renewal.
8. FINALLY, WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE SOMEONE WHO HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER?
Not to lose hope.